Libido is defined as sex drive in men or women which is how your sexual stimulation takes place.
Unfortunately, loss of libido is affecting so many men and women around the world which also somehow negatively impacts their lives.
Most of the time it is because of your hormonal system, disturbances in relation and stressful life.
Men and women share different amount of libido, loss of libido can be identified if you feel very little sexual cravings or you can’t perform in the midst of it.
Let’s take a brief look at the main causes of libido loss and from where you can get proper help to overcome this issue.
Normal Causes for Loss of Libido
1. Sexual Problems
In the current era, there have been many sexual disorders identified due to which a person cannot get sexual urges or cannot perform sex.
Some sexual disorders which cause disruption in your sex life and relationship are:
- Erectile Dysfunction- Most common issue occurs in men where they cannot get an erection.
- Premature Ejaculation- Either they (men) ejaculate very little or very sooner.
- Vaginal Dryness- Due to lack of blood supply to the vaginal region and other external factors.
- Painful Sex- Can be for both men and women due to some issues in the reproductive system.
- Inability to Orgasm- In men, it is usually occurred due to the lack of Testosterone, while in women it is mostly due to hormonal disturbance.
- Unusual vaginal tightening
2. Problems in Relation
This is the important factor which you need to analyze, whether if you are happy in your relationship both mentally and physically.
Sometimes having doubts in a relationship is considered a factor which decreases a person’s libido.
Our sexual desires relate to our partners to whom we should be totally open.
Some major problems in relations which can cause loss of libido in an individual are:
- Completely loss of sexual attraction
- Conflicts that haven’t been resolved since a long time and turn every time into arguments
- Long term relationship, where you be with your partner for years and now it craves you to change that
- Physical issues which impart in sexual problems
- Lack of trust
The best way is to visit a relationship counselor or sex therapist who might resolve the main issues between you and your partner to keep your passion alive.
A person feels contempt and totally miserable when he/she is feeling depressed, and that person cannot perform sexually.
Not just the sexual health it affects, depression overall affects your personal and professional lives.
Individuals having low libido can show following signs of depression:
- Never ending feeling of sadness or hopelessness
- Loss of joyful feelings in normal things
- Feels no sexual touch of the partner
It might be useful to visit a psychologist or general physician to help you with it. Normally, talking therapies or antidepressants will help you overcome depression.
4. Anxiety, Stress & overtiredness
If you get anxious stressful or exhaust so frequently, beware because they are the big deals that end your happy moments and leave negative effects on your sexual health.
A simple visit to your GP can help you ask him some major questions like why am I tired all the time? How to overcome the stress? Why I get so often muscle fatigues?
Usually, according to your physical health, some multivitamins with low dose antidepressants are prescribed.
5. Menopause and Aging
Loss of libido has very much closer relation with aging.
Men and women age, which slows their system down gradually which is a natural phenomenon.
Factors associated that contributes to lack of libido include:
- Lack of male hormone testosterone
- Lack of female hormone, estrogen, and testosterone after menopause or at certain age
- Age-related problems
Hormonal replacement therapy has been done by many women who are going through menopause which is basically a treatment to increase the level of your hormones.
6. Primary Health Problems
Having a long-term medical condition can reduce your sex drive to the marked extent.
This usually happens due to the stress because of any certain disease that induces such a great change in person’s behavior.
Some believe it occurred because of the side effects of some medications.
Some health problems which affect your libido level are:
- Cardiovascular problems, including Myocardial infarction, heart failure
- Surgeries to eradicate sex organs
7. Pregnancy, Labor, and Lactation
This occurs mainly because of the following reasons
- Hormonal imbalance
- Stress and Exhaustion
- Painful sex after sometimes of giving birth
- Physical changes due to pregnancy that causes confidence disruption
- Changed in main concerns, like a new baby needs more care than a man
Visit your GP to report these problems, see if he can prescribe you some nutritional supplements to regain your sexual and physical power.
8. Alcohol Consumption and Drugs Abuse
A study confirmed that drinking excessive alcohol for a long time can cause significant loss of libido in men and women.
It would be better to cut down alcohol from your schedule until you get little sexual impulses, then you can consume 14 units a week which is scientifically approved.
Drugs abuse causes the same sexual dysfunctions in both genders which is more serious than alcohol consumption.
You can find articles or take some classes about stopping the addiction which in many cases helped people to get back on a right track.
There are some medicines which decrease libido in men and women.
- Medication for Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)
- Medication for depression or epilepsy
- Contraceptive medication
- Some antipsychotic drugs
- Medicine for prostate cancer
- Some anticancer therapies
Before using any medication, please take a look at the “side effects” heading in its leaflet.
Consulting a physician would be wiser as he can replace those drugs with the alternatives, if available.
Want to Know More?